We’re excited to have multi-award winning artist and jeweller Liz Sabol in the UK for the first time to teach a cold-enamel Champleve masterclass. In this class, Liz is going to share the secrets of designing, making, colouring and finishing cold-enamel champlevé jewellery with a lucky group of students. Don’t miss this opportunity to learn some fantastic techniques with a true master. Instalment payments are available for this class. Pay a £100 non-refundable deposit and then pay by regular instalments to clear the balance by the end of August 2022.
This is a five-day class. The price includes all materials, including 50g Art Clay 950. You may want to bring more metal clay as specified below in case you want to go big!
The class runs from Monday 17th until Friday 21st October 2022
Timings: 10am – 5pm each day
Skill Level: Intermediate/advanced level metal clay skills are required, this is not a beginner level class
Add some colour to your work! This 5-day intensive masterclass will cover the fundamentals of Champlevé, and cold enamel application using metal clay. We will explore the principles of design, including strategies and guidelines for successful Champlevé pieces. Using two different methods of construction, you will create two or more unique pendants of your own designs. Firing tips, as well as finishing techniques will be demonstrated. Then the real fun begins! You will bring your pieces to life by adding colour and dimension with paint, exploring various techniques for blending and shading. Finally, learn about the specifics for applying protective resin, followed by the steps necessary to sand the resin flush and bring it back to a gorgeous glass-like shine.
What are the main objectives of this cold-enamel Champleve masterclass?
- Understanding the design approach and criteria for Champlevé
- Expanding on and applying assembled construction techniques
- An exploration of the fundamentals for carving a negative mold from wax
- Exploring painting methods and execution for adding depth and dimension
- Creating a glass-like finish on resin after sanding
What do I need to bring with me?
- 950 or 960 Sterling Silver Clay – your brand of choice, as long as it’s compatible with a 900C/1650F firing temperature. 50 grams of Art Clay 950 is included in the price, but you may want to use more, so Liz recommends you bring some extra clay.
- A fine silver clay syringe is an optional item you may want to bring.
- 1.25 mm soft flat brush.
- Stencil brush.
- Various sizes and shapes of small paint brushes and mini detailer brushes. Examples: round 20/0, 12/0, 3/0; flat shader 2/0, 10/0.
- Magnifying visor recommended.
- A standard clay toolkit, textures, drying forms, cutters, stencils etc listed below will be available in the studio, but please bring your own if you have any of these tools you particularly like to work with:-
- work surfaces
- release (oil, Badger Balm etc)
- clay roller
- thickness guides (playing cards, slats etc)
- slip brushes
- clay shapers
- sharp Exacto or scalpel blades
- clay pick or pin tool
- sanding/filing tools
- drying forms
- plus any other favourite clay tools
What's included in the price
The price of this cold-enamel Champleve masterclass includes 50g Art Clay 950 and all consumables including the following: the specific brand of UV resin Liz uses to achieve her fantastic results, a resin application tool, a wax tablet used in the moulding technique Liz uses, sanding sticks, and polishing pads – all of which you will be able to keep – and access to a variety of paint colours.